March 24, 2007

Mighty purty typewriter

The Wisconsin Historical Society is celebrating the first mass produced typewriter. There's a wonderful five-minute read on their website. It also includes links to more information.

Highlights include:

  • Bigger, juicier photos. This beautiful antique makes my iPod look cold, lifeless and dead. And I lurrrve my iPod.

  • It wasn't the inventor who licensed the technology rights to Remington Co...it was his business partner. Seems the inventor was a little short on cash in the 1870s and sold away his rights. Ouch.

  • One of the first things Mark Twain ever typed, which includes the following: "...only practici?ng ti get the hang of the thing." I kid you not.

Read it here.

P.S. I am now dreaming of a Victorian steampunk computer. Someone's already transformed a 1924 Underwood No. 5 typewriter into a computer, so I figure it's possible.

Photo Credit: Wisconsin Historical Society

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! Now I know what to do with that 1930's reporter style Underwood in my basement. But sorry... I can't touch the 1918 glass side model. Time to tear down that old Compaq and turn it into a brand spankin' new/old typecompwriterthingy.

Gary
PS.. love your blog

Sally J. said...

Sounds great, Gary. Send pictures, m'kay?