February 10, 2007

Hello, hal23

Sign of the times.

My laptop is set to scan for wifi signals automatically. There's a simple pulldown menu (yay mac!) that shows me the strength of the signal plus any other signals it's picking up that moment.

When I checked my airport connection this morning, I noticed two other wifi signals. By the time I got around to doing the screen capture you see up there, one of the signals had disappeared and another had shown up in its place.

Ever since I moved to Madison in 1986, people have been bragging about how we have the highest boookstore per person ratio in the country. According to a 2004 study we rank 4th. Not too shabby.

In any case, it's obvious that there are a lot of readers here in Madison. My neighborhood is a mix of single family homes and 3-flats. Add an affordable city-wide wifi network to the mix, and you get multiple wifi surfers within yards of each other.

I love this town.
.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i'm surprised my network doesn't show up! we're only 100 feet away!

Sally J. said...

I dunno, bek. The list changes all the time. Right now we're only picking up hal23 which must be the coop. I've seen up to 4 or 5 different signals at a time, but can't remember the names. What's your network called?

The flower preservation info is going in the next post. You rock.